Leonard Cohen 1934-2016 | In My Own Words | Music



Another great influential music artist has left us today, exceptional Canadian singer/songwriter (poet and novelist too) Mr Leonard Cohen, aged 82. Perhaps best known for 'Hallelujah' covered many times since released in 1984.

An artist I only discovered 4 years ago on BBC 6 Music, the release of his 20th album 'Old Ideas', but I'm very glad I did. Includes a frank look at one's own mortality using his trademark poetic words. I'm a music listener who pays very close attention to and studies song lyrics, to understand the song from an artist's perspective, especially autobiographical lyrics is important to me. His most recent album You Want It Darker was released just this year to much acclaim, I suggest this as a starting point for new listeners.

Despite his melancholy themes, I found he had the ability to sing those lyrics leaving you as a listener with such warmth, comfort and even make you smile with his honesty that comes across so clearly. Especially listening to an album of his for the very first time, just incredible. I then understood how people were so captivated by him and have been a fan ever since, reading his written works, intrigued by his well-written words.


The first novel I read was Beautiful Losers free with a copy of Mojo music magazine back in 2012. The novel was originally published in 1966 before he became a singer/songwriter. A mix of frank words and wry humour made it a refreshing read. Providing an interesting and original perspective on friendship, sex and spirituality. Certainly a recommended read.



He always presented himself a well dressed and never afraid, to be frank, and honest, good qualities I respect in a man.

RIP Leonard Cohen thank you for sharing your works with us all and inspiring so many.

I hope you enjoyed my brief tribute to Mr Cohen.

Thanks Bekki.

"Act the way you'd like to be and soon you'll be the way you act." - Leonard Cohen


Other Music Posts:

Short Intro to Post-Punk Music & Recommendations


Sixties Girl Power Playlist

Comments

Popular Posts